At Suwanee Appliance Garage, we know that choosing the right washer and dryer is crucial for an efficient and hassle-free laundry experience. With our extensive selection of new, used, and open-box appliance options, we’re here to help you navigate this important decision for your home or apartment where space matters most. There are all kinds of incredible stackable washer and dryer sets to chose from, and we’ve sold plenty from LG in the past as well and highly recommend them as a starting point.
In this comprehensive guide from Metro Atlanta’s premier appliance store, we’ll explore the key differences, pros and cons, and ideal usage scenarios of stackable washer and dryer vs side-by-side washer and dryers and providing some general tips to keep your laundry room in your home in the best shape in general. Whether you’re outfitting a compact urban apartment or have a spacious laundry room in the suburbs, we’ve got you covered. Let’s dive in, shall we?
Stackable Washer and Dryers in Atlanta: The Space and Energy Savers You Need to Buy!
For homeowners and renters with limited square feet in their area, stackable washer and dryer units can be an excellent problem-solving choice. By placing the dryer unit on top of the washing machine, these space-saving powerhouses maximize your laundry room real estate.
Because of their inherent design, stackable washer and dryers can fit right on top of each other and save vertical space. It’s an appealing option for people who live in smaller apartment complexes and need to maximize their square footage. With the advanced technology and features of these newer stackables, like moisture sensors and load-specific cycles, you’re also saving big on your monthly energy bills!
There are many more benefits with stackable washer and dryers we want to discuss.
Beyond just saving space, stackable units come with several other advantages:
Easier DIY installation: With their lighter weight and smaller size, stackable units are easier to maneuver during delivery and installation compared to bulkier side-by-side models. This makes them ideal for DIYers.
More budget-friendly: On average, stackable washer and dryers retail for 10-20% less than comparable side-by-side sets. This allows you to save money upfront.
Flexible placement: Stackable units can fit into narrow or unconventional spaces like closets or bathrooms, giving you more layout options. You can even stack the dryer on the bottom if needed.
However, the vertical design also comes with some downsides to consider:
Reaching the dryer: Shorter users may find accessing the controls and loading the dryer up top more difficult and inconvenient. Look for units with controls on the front for easier access.
Reduced stability: To prevent tipping, stackable units must be properly installed and secured. This may require professional help or reinforcement of the flooring/mounting area.
Smaller capacity: The compact shape of stackables equates to smaller drum size and reduced laundry loads compared to full-sized side-by-side models. This can mean more loads for larger households.
Side-by-Side Washer and Dryers in Atlanta: The Conventional Choice
The classic side-by-side washer and dryer configuration remains popular for good reason especially among our local Atlanta customer base. With the units installed next to each other, often beneath a continuous countertop, this setup offers unmatched convenience in terms of access and capacity.
If you have a spacious laundry room and plenty of clearance, side-by-side appliances can make laundry day much simpler. Benefits of this traditional arrangement include:
Ergonomic access: With both units at waist/counter height, loading and unloading is easy from a natural standing position. This is ideal for users of all heights.
Power and capacity: Full-sized side-by-side washers and dryers offer greater drum capacity, more wash/dry settings, and faster cycle times to handle larger loads with ease. Great for big families.
Matching aesthetics: Side-by-side sets often come in matching colors/finishes, allowing you to create a seamless look in your laundry room. The countertop bridge also creates a clean, built-in style.
One-stop shopping: Purchasing a ready-made side-by-side set ensures your washer and dryer specifications will match up during installation. No guesswork involved!
Downsides to watch out for include:
Significant space requirements: You’ll need a laundry room large enough to accommodate the wider and deeper combined dimensions of two full-sized appliances plus clearance space. This can be prohibitive in smaller homes.
Lack of flexibility: Side-by-side units are harder to maneuver and have a fixed left-right configuration. This decreases placement options and furniture layout versatility.
Upfront cost: The large capacity and matching set design of side-by-side appliances commands a higher purchase price. Be sure to comparison shop to find deals.
Key Considerations When Choosing Your Home Laundry Setup
Now that you’ve decided whether you’re going to buy a stackable washer and dryer or a side-by-side, you’re probably wondering how you’re going to make your laundry room work to accommodate these appliance behemoths. To select the ideal washer and dryer setup for your home, keep the following factors in mind:
Available space: Measure your laundry room’s dimensions and layout to determine the maximum appliance sizes it can accommodate. Allow for proper ventilation/clearances too.
Power requirements: Consult an electrician if needed to ensure your laundry room’s electrical panel and circuits can handle the power demands of your desired washer and dryer models.
Usage requirements: Consider how many loads you do per week and your preferred wash cycles/settings. This will dictate the ideal capacity and functionality.
Noise levels: Look for washers and dryers with noise ratings of less than 60 decibels for quiet operation. This is especially important for homes with laundry rooms near living areas.
Connectivity: Many new models feature smart WiFi and app controls for remote monitoring and control. Choose this feature if convenient mobile access appeals to you.
Ergonomics and accessibility: Evaluate the installation height and location that will be most comfortable for users. Side-by-side units often have an ergonomic advantage.
Aesthetics: Do you prefer matching sets or mix-and-match? What color/finish would best complement your existing laundry room decor? Visual factors may guide your choices.
Budget: Set a spending cap and weigh the benefits of different units against their price tags. Consider total long-term costs, not just upfront price.
Expert Tips for Better Laundry Room Layouts Whether You Buy a Stackable Washer/Dryer or Side by Side
Optimizing your laundry room’s layout is just as important as choosing the right appliances for your home, especially with stackable washer and dryers and side-by-side washer and dryers. Use these design tips from the experts at Suwanee Appliance Garage for a high-functioning, ergonomic laundry space:
• Situate units near the laundry room door for easy access when transporting baskets of clothes. Have the door swing out without blocking appliances.
• Include at least 30 inches of clearance space in front of units for loading and unloading. Drawers and doors should fully open without obstruction.
• Place appliances along a wall or in a corner to allow doors and controls to be accessed from one side. Avoid cramped fits.
• Install units on vibration-absorbing rubber feet and use rubber hoses for noise reduction and proper dampening.
• Position units at a comfortable height for users. Raising front-load washers on sturdy risers improves ergonomics and is ADA compliant.
• Have hot and cold water supply lines, drain lines, gas lines (for dryers), and electrical outlets roughed-in and ready for appliance connections.
• Use moisture-resistant drywall, mold-resistant paint, and waterproof flooring in laundry rooms to withstand splashes, humidity, and leaks.
• Ensure adequate ventilation, either through windows or exhaust fans. Dryers output large quantities of hot, moist air that must be evacuated.
• Include plumbing and electrical hookups for laundry sinks/tubs to allow for hand-washing, pre-treating, and stain removal right where you need it.
Regular Stackable and Side by Side Washer and Dryer Maintenance
To keep your washers and dryers humming along smoothly for years to come regardless of which type you choose, be diligent about regular maintenance:
• Use a washing machine cleaner monthly to disinfect the drum and internal components. This prevents mold, mildew, and odors.
• Inspect rubber door gaskets and wash them with bleach solution monthly to avoid built-up grime.
• Clean out dryer vents and ductwork at least annually using a vacuum hose or specialized duct brush.
• Replace washing machine hoses every 5 years to avoid leaks as hoses age and degrade. Use steel-reinforced hoses for maximum durability.
• Test the dryer thermal fuse every 3-4 years by conducting a continuity test. A faulty fuse is a fire hazard.
• Deep clean dryer interiors 2-3 times per year to remove accumulated lint and debris. Lint traps alone don’t catch it all.
• Level both washing machines and dryers using adjustable feet. Improper leveling can exacerbate noise and vibration.
By following these maintenance practices, you can add years of reliable service to your washers and dryers. Our expert technicians at Suwanee Appliance Garage can also assist with recommended maintenance and repairs.
Additional Laundry Room Design Tips with Stackable and Side-by-Side Washer and Dryers
Beyond choosing the ideal washer and dryer setup, optimize the functionality of your laundry room with these savvy design ideas:
• Incorporate adjustable height folding tables or countertops. This provides an ergonomic surface for folding and sorting clothes. Look for tables on casters that can move out of the way.
• Install shelving above appliances for laundry supplies and accessories. Use shelves with lips to prevent bottles from falling. Just don’t overload them to avoid tipping hazards.
• Consider built-in hampers or chutes to easily transport dirty clothes to the laundry room. Position them in convenient spots like master bedroom closets.
• Add a utility sink for handwashing delicate items, pre-treating stains, and dyeing projects. Choose a large deep sink with both hot and cold water.
• Include a garment rack or drying rod to air dry delicates. Position it near a vent or window that can be opened to circulate fresh air.
• Choose lighting that provides bright, full-spectrum illumination for the entire room. LED ceiling fixtures supplemented with task lighting at key spots is ideal.
• Use cabinets, closets and other storage solutions to hide laundry essentials. Conceal detergent bottles, ironing boards, cleaning tools and more when not in use.
• Consider installing floor drains and even trench drains spanning the front of appliances. This safeguards against leaks and overflows.
• If space allows, incorporate a folding station. A tall counter with stool makes this chore more comfortable. Add hang rods and shelves for sorted piles.
With the right design touches and storage solutions, your laundry room can become an ultra-functional hub for all your household’s cleaning needs. The experts at Suwanee Appliance Garage can help bring your vision to life!
Shop for the Best Side-by-Side Washer/Dryers and Stackable Washer/Dryers with Help from Our Team
Doing your homework is key to getting the maximum value from new appliance purchases whether you are deciding between the best stackable washer and dryers or the cream of the crop of side-by-side washer and dryers and the various deals appliance stores in Atlanta have on them. At Suwanee Appliance Garage, our knowledgeable staff strives to educate customers so you can shop smart:
• Compare dimensions of specific models you’re considering to ensure they’ll fit properly in your laundry room. Measure twice for accuracy!
• Look up technical specs like capacity, cycle options, noise rating, and energy efficiency. Get the features and power you need.
• Ask about companion add-ons like drawer pedestals and laundry sorters that can expand functionality. Know your options.
• Compare pricing between brands and models to find the best bang for your buck. Use retailer discounts and seasonal sales to maximize savings.
• Inquire about rebates and tax credits offered for ENERGY STAR certified washers and dryers. Savings can add up significantly.
• Consider buying and installing units separately if your budget requires it. You can always add the matching dryer later.
• Ask us about open box specials. Save even more on models other customers returned with minor cosmetic flaws that don’t affect performance.
Dispose of Your Old Appliances Responsibly
When the time finally comes to take those rusted old washers and dryers to the curb, make sure you dispose of them properly to avoid environmental hazards, injuries, or fines for bulk waste:
• Remove doors from units to prevent children or animals from getting trapped inside. Disable locking mechanisms.
• Drain all water and detach hoses. Tilt front-load washers backwards to drain any collected water from the basin.
• Double check for any personal belongings left behind! Check pockets, clean out under drums, and inspect all nooks.
• Call your local municipal office for proper bulk or hazardous waste disposal guidelines. Many communities offer large item pickup services.
• Consider donating functional units to charity organizations like Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Get a receipt for a tax write-off.
• Ask your appliance retailer if they offer a disposal service for old units when delivering new ones. This simplifies the entire upgrade process.
• As a last resort, use an appliance scrapping service. They’ll remove and responsibly recycle/dispose of washers, dryers, refrigerators and more.
At Suwanee Appliance Garage, we go the extra mile for customers and can coordinate quick and eco-friendly removal of outdated appliances with each new purchase and offer appliance removal services for as little as $35. Let us handle the dirty work while you enjoy a laundry room revived!
Experience the Suwanee Appliance Garage Difference Today!
For Gwinnett County and metro Atlanta homeowners seeking quality washers, dryers, and other essential appliances, Suwanee Appliance Garage has you covered. With our price match guarantee, satisfaction warranty, and exemplary customer service, you can upgrade your home with confidence.
Our family-owned used appliance store has supplied the community with affordable options from leading brands since 2021. Whether you need same-day delivery, haul away of old machines, expert installation, or repair service, our team gladly goes the extra mile. Discover why we’re the top choice for a hassle-free appliance purchase.
Visit our showroom in the Metro Atlanta area to shop our array of stackable and side-by-side washers and dryers in stock. You’ll never have to ponder how to pick the best stackable washer and dryer vs. side-by-side ones ever again! Have questions or need purchasing advice? Contact us for more information on how you can best take advantage of all these incredible stackable washer and dryer deals in Atlanta today! We are here for you 7 days a week and are open from 9 am to 9 pm most days too.